Cyber Research Engineer
Company: Peraton Labs
Location: Silver Spring
Posted on: June 15, 2022
Peraton Labs delivers innovative solutions and revolutionary new
capabilities to solve the most difficult and complex challenges for
government agencies, utilities, and commercial customers. With a
distinguished heritage tracing back to Bell Labs, Bellcore, DHPC,
and Telcordia, we are a self-sustaining research center within
Peraton that provides applied research and engineering to enable
government agencies, utilities and commercial enterprises to fully
exploit the future of communications, analytics and cyber security.
Peraton Labs' cybersecurity research protects mission-critical
systems and national cyber infrastructure through a broad range of
initiatives in computer network defense, cyber operations,
secure-by-design techniques, and experimentation platforms.
Role and responsibility for this position:
The Cyber Research Engineer will work on full-lifecycle advanced
cyber capability development, starting with research prototype all
the way through to eventual deployment of operational capabilities
over a three-year period. You will be part of a large team of
highly skilled engineers collaborating to develop, test, and field
novel operational capabilities for the Department of Defense. Past
experience with DARPA or the DoD/IC research community is a strong
plus. You will perform one or more of the following tasks:
- Designing, developing, and testing software modules related to
emerging embedded cyber capabilities, high-availability network
protocols, cyber mission planning and reasoning systems, data
analytics, processing and analysis of high-volume network
- Hardware and software reverse engineering activities against
- Development of CI/CD-based testing strategies for developed
- Analysis and assessment of multi-dimensional network data to
inform software development.We are hiring multiple engineers in
this role. Individual job responsibilities will be tailored to each
candidate's background and experience drawing from the overall the
scope listed above.
Education/Experience Required:BS 8-10, MS 6-8, PhD 3-5
Skills and Experience You Should Possess:
- Strong networking background
- Demonstrated software development expertise
- Computer Network Operations (CNO) background
- Experience with embedded systems
- knowledge of operating system internals (e.g., scheduling, data
- Experience with both offensive and defensive cyber tools
- Technical skills in one or more of the following areas: binary
analysis, malware analysis, reverse engineering, protocal analysis,
vulnerability research, cyber threat hunting, multi-INT fusion,
large-scale data analytics, automated reasoning systemsAdditional
- Fluency in C/C++ or Python (ideally both); familiarity with
other high-level languages in common use.
- Familiarity with the basics of x86 assembly language and the
principles of modern computer architecture.
- Familiarity with modern agile development practices (Scrum and
- Familiarity with modern development tools and testing
frameworks (Git, CI/CD toolchains)
- Familiarity with container and orchestration solutions,
including Docker, Docker Swarm, Kubernetes, Terraform
Minimum Clearance Required:
Active Top Secret clearance strongly preferred. TS/SCI a
significant plus (poly not required but also a plus). Uncleared
candidates who are able to get a TS will be considered.
Why choose us?
- Variety: You will work on multiple programs. You and your
manager will have discussions to ensure your assignments are on
track with your growth goals and interest areas.
- Flexibility: You will have the opportunity for a flexible work
schedule. Subject to program requirements, you can set your hours
while fulfilling 80 hours every two weeks. Additionally, while
classified work requires onsite work, most staff can schedule about
20% of their time as work from home.
- Value: You will support interesting and challenging projects
that are not repetitive or monotonous, but rather have novelty and
innovation; and great people to learn from and work with -
collegial, smart, inspiring.
Who we're looking for:
- Cyber: We are looking for staff with a strong interest (and
ideally a track record) in cyber security research and development
w/ strong software development skills.
- Generalists:You'll typically focus your work on the domain(s)
of your specialty or preference, but a strong multi-domain
awareness and ability is required. You should have a curiosity to
learn new technology.
- Tangible: You'll work on applied research program to conceive
and develop prototypes to solve cutting-edge, complex problems
Peraton drives missions of consequence spanning the globe and
extending to the farthest reaches of the galaxy. As the world's
leading mission capability integrator and transformative enterprise
IT provider, we deliver trusted and highly differentiated national
security solutions and technologies that keep people safe and
secure. Peraton serves as a valued partner to essential government
agencies across the intelligence, space, cyber, defense, civilian,
health, and state and local markets. Every day, our employees do
the can't be done, solving the most daunting challenges facing our
customers.Colorado Salary Minimum: $79,200
Colorado Salary Maximum: $192,200
The estimate displayed represents the typical salary range for this
position, and is just one component of Peraton's total compensation
package for employees. Other rewards may include annual bonuses,
short- and long-term incentives, and program-specific awards. In
addition, Peraton provides a variety of benefits to employees.
Keywords: Peraton Labs, Silver Spring , Cyber Research Engineer, Engineering , Silver Spring, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!