Manager, Behavioral Health Operations
Posted on: May 23, 2023
Under the direction of the Behavioral Health Service Line
Operations Director, the Behavioral Health Operations Manager
serves as the on-site leadership for Behavioral Health operations.
Coordinates the daily delivery of quality patient care in the
integrated Care Delivery System and delivers optimal member
experience. Executes on the service delivery model in partnership
with the Service Chief and Director. The Behavioral Health
Operations Manager has direct oversight of Behavioral Health and
Chemical Dependency Services along the care continuum and
accountability for ensuring consistency of service delivery and
treatment programs across the Mid-Atlantic Region.Essential
- Plans, organizes and directs the work of the Behavioral Health
department to ensure safe, high quality patient care. Manages the
daily clinical operations, including staffing schedules, phone
access to the health care team, and patient flow. Ensures
departments provides timely access to an episode of care. Ensures
that high quality, efficient, and medically appropriate treatment
programs that are evidenced-based are delivered throughout the
service area and region. Provide clinical supervision of mid-level
providers: psychotherapists, psychologists and advanced practice
nurses other professional staff including nurses and mental health
- Collaborates with the Chief of Behavioral Health to design,
manage, and continually improve the operations of the department in
accordance with strategic goals and targets and within appropriate
clinical guidelines, including identifying and developing strong
diagnostically responsive and preventive programming that addresses
patient needs at the outpatient level of care.
- Executes the service delivery plan for the department, set by
the Chief and Director. Standardize workflows across the service
area and reduce service area variation in accordance with regional
expectations. Directs and leads customer service, service recovery,
and MPS initiatives.
- Works with Human Resources staff to recruit and hire staff;
coordinates comprehensive orientation of new staff, and completes
annual performance evaluations, competencies, etc. Collaborates
with Health Plan leaders to establish performance goals and
provides counseling, coaching, feedback, recognition, training and
development to staff.
- Assists with budget development and is responsible for payroll
and non-payroll targets and variances. Creates action plans for
areas not meeting target.
- Supports, co-leads, and champions UBT work in and across the
department. Responsible for process improvement, including but not
limited to the following: efficiencies in the work flow (i.e.
reducing waste, skills/role maximization, work flow
- Responsible for facility and equipment within the clinical
departments and associated building egress space. Reports and
escalates work orders exceeding service level agreement.
- Partners with regional and service area space planning
committees and teams. Manages space in the clinical areas to ensure
appropriate assignment and utilization.
- Monitors and validates workflows in KPHC and other related
electronic health record systems. Support documentation and upgrade
initiatives, and address issues with direct reports and staff, as
- Serves as on-site leader to the health care team, as needed and
serves as Behavioral Health expert for the region. Act as service
area representative for Behavioral Health leadership team in the KP
- Under the guidance of the service area, analyze data and
prepare data driven written and oral updates to leadership or other
- Maintains current knowledge of applicable federal and state
regulations or laws and monitors changes to ensure organizational
adaptation and compliance. Ensures department is compliant with all
accreditation, licensing, and regulatory requirements.
- Maintains proficiency and competency in clinical skills,
techniques, etc. Provides direct patient care, as needed.Additional
Location: Frederick. Basic Qualifications: Experience
- Minimum three (3) years experience in behavioral health setting
or areas of quality, process improvement, program management,
clinical management experience. Education
- Masters degree in social work (MSW), or masters degree in
education (MEd), or masters degree in psychology, or masters degree
in nursing/advanced practice nurse, or PhD psychologist, or PsyD or
Masters degree in business administration, or Masters degree in
health administration, or Masters degree in healtcare leadership
required. License, Certification, Registration
- Medical Social Worker License (Maryland) OR Licensed Clinical
Social Worker - Certified (Maryland) OR Clinical Psychologist
License (Virginia) OR Clinical Professional Counselor License
(Maryland) OR Registered Nurse License (District of Columbia) OR
Registered Nurse License (Virginia) OR Licensed Psychologist
(Maryland) OR Advanced Practice Registered Nurse Certificate
(District of Columbia) OR Licensed Certified Social Worker
(Maryland) OR Professional Counselor License (District of Columbia)
OR Social Worker License (Virginia) OR Independent Clinical Social
Worker License (District of Columbia) OR Applied Psychologist
License (Virginia) OR Registered Nurse License (Maryland) OR
Licensed Clinical Social Worker (Virginia) OR Professional
Counselor License (Virginia) OR Psychologist License (District of
- National Provider Identifier Additional Requirements:
- Clinical experience in individual, group, and family
- Must maintain current with license and certifications
- A broad knowledge of the range of therapy techniques and
therapy methods and modalities of care in the areas of mental
health and chemical dependency required.
- Productivity standards - help to formulate these in
coordination with Behavioral Health Management Team. Interpret,
recommend, observe, monitor, and alter these as needed.
- Knowledge of cognitive behavioral techniques, brief therapy
models, group work, crisis theory, chemical dependency treatment,
and management experience required.
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills are
- Strong interpersonal skills are required.
- Solid evidence of good oral and writing abilities are
- Ability to facilitate the design and development of Behavioral
Health programs is required.
- Demonstrated problem solving acumen is required.
- Strong organizational skills/ability to manage multiple
priorities and competing demands are required.
- Solid understanding of psychopathology is required.
- Strong understanding of teamwork and the interdisciplinary
team, both in-pt and out-pt, required.
- Must be able to travel within the service area and region to
multiple locations.Preferred Qualifications:
- A broad range of clinical experience preferred.
- Experience in collaborating with physicians of all specialities
- Licensed as a clinical supervisor preferred.
- Lean Six Sigma, Green belt or similar preferred.PrimaryLocation
: Maryland,Rockville,Shady Grove Medical CenterHoursPerWeek :
40Shift : DayWorkdays : Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, FriWorkingHoursStart :
08:00 AMWorkingHoursEnd : 07:00 PMJob Schedule : Full-timeJob Type
: StandardEmployee Status : RegularEmployee Group/Union Affiliation
: NUE-MAS-01-NUE-Non Union EmployeeJob Level : Manager with Direct
ReportsJob Category : Behavioral Health, Social Services &
Spiritual CareDepartment : DCSM Service Area - Mental
Hlth/Psych-Behavioral - 1808Travel : Yes, 25 % of the TimeKaiser
Permanente is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse
and inclusive workforce. Applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including
pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, national origin, marital
status, parental status, ancestry, disability, gender identity,
veteran status, genetic information, other distinguishing
characteristics of diversity and inclusion, or any other protected
Keywords: Kaiser, Silver Spring , Manager, Behavioral Health Operations, Executive , Hyattsville, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...