Medical Assistant MAS
Company: MedStar Ambulatory Services
Location: Silver Spring
Posted on: August 14, 2019
- MedStar Ambulatory Services is committed to providing
world-class, compassionate care to every patient,every time, at
every touch point. All associates are accountable for their role in
meeting patient experiencestandards.
- Performs clinical and administrative duties in an Ambulatory
setting consistent with policies and procedures.Works under the
supervision of a physician and performs data collection,
venipuncture, laboratory testing,patient follow up, and assisting
providers with patient exams. This position documents, as
appropriate, in themedical records and supports optimal patient
flow. Ability to work with 4 or more Specialty areas as needed.Must
have knowledge base of multispecialty areas and a high degree of
flexibility and willingness to learn. Minimum Qualifications
- High school graduation or equivalent; completion of an approved
Medical Assistant program
- 1 year experience working in an ambulatory care medical office,
preferably in a paperlessenvironment; minimum of externship in a
medical or ambulatory health setting. 2 years back office
medicalexperience strongly preferred.
- CMA (Certified Medical Assistant) by the American Association
of Medical Assistantsor RMA (Registered Medical Assistant) through
the American Medical Technologists or equivalent within 6months
from hire date; CPR Certification.
- Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to type 40 words per minute; basic computer skills;
excellent verbal /written communicationand customer service skills.
Clinical competency as verified during the initial 90 day
orientation period andannually thereafter. Computer and Electronic
Medical Record skills and ability to function in a variable
clinicalsetting. Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Calls in refill prescription medications for patients after
physician approval and documentation; completes requisitions for
tests (only if certified).
- Cleans, stocks and sterilizes equipment and cleans and prepares
patient rooms for care delivery.
- Comprehends equipment and procedures for all specialists
working within the facility.
- Contributes to the achievement of established department goals
and objectives and adheres to department policies, procedures,
quality standards and safety standards. Complies with governmental
and accreditation regulations.
- Maintains equipment/environment (ie carts, cabinets, utility
rooms, fridge); assists with medical supply requisition; discards
outdated drugs and supplies from samples cabinet and
- Maintains log system and performs required patient follow up
for pap smears, Pb levels, HIV, mammograms, and STD?s.
- Manages patient flow with consistent and frequent communication
with patients/families as well genuine regards for their time and
- Participates in multidisciplinary quality and service
improvement teams as appropriate. Participates in meetings
including: regular staff meetings, All staff meetings, training
classes for safety, infection control, OSHA, EMR, CPR, TJC, safety,
compliance and others as required; Serves on committees and
represents the department and facility in community outreach
efforts as appropriate.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Performs other testing and care consistent with the scope of
the practice including, but not limited to, spirometry/PFTs,
patient vitals and BMI, EKGs, vision and hearing testing,
splinting, tuberculosis skin testing, pulmonary function testing,
pregnancy testing, urinalysis, microbiology (Streptococcal testing
and cultures) and general patient care under the supervision of the
physician. Removes sutures /staples with provider written order
- Performs patient follow up calls and profession communication
or lab tests and clinical results in accordance with policy.
- Performs venipuncture, finger sticks on adults and children,
heel sticks on infants if applicable, and selected patient and
- Promotes an atmosphere of respect towards patients, families,
vendors, employers and co-workers. Acts and communicates
professionally at all times. Provides care consistent with
MedStar?s mission, vision and values and in a manner that engenders
patient confidence and loyalty by exceeding expectations. Acts as a
mentor for the clinical staff; leads by example and fosters staff
- Serves as a patient advocate throughout the care process and
assist in patient discharge, assuring clarity for the patient or
family member(s) in conjunction with the Referral Coordinator.
- Supports other members of the clinic team during downtime and
when patient bottlenecks occur assuring optimal patient flow;
manages variable and unpredictable patient volume throughout the
work day. Provides telephone triage services as needed. Supports
the physician in patient examination, testing and education.
- Supports the physician in patient examination, testing and
- Under physician supervision, prepares and administers oral
medications and injections limited to intradermal, subcutaneous,
and intramuscular (deltoid, gluteal and vastus lateralis according
to policy). About MedStar HealthMedStar Health is dedicated to
providing the highest quality care for people in Maryland and the
Washington, D.C., region, while advancing the practice of medicine
through education, innovation and research. Our 30,000 associates
and 5,400 affiliated physicians work in a variety of settings
across our health system, including 10 hospitals and more than 300
community-based locations, the largest visiting nurse association
in the region, and highly respected institutes dedicated to
research and innovation. As the medical education and clinical
partner of Georgetown University for more than 20 years, MedStar is
dedicated not only to teaching the next generation of doctors, but
also to the continuing education and professional development of
our whole team. MedStar Health offers diverse opportunities for
career advancement and personal fulfillment.
Keywords: MedStar Ambulatory Services, Silver Spring , Medical Assistant MAS, Healthcare , Silver Spring, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!