Privacy Counsel - Chevy Chase, MD (HYBRID)
Company: Government Employees Insurance Company
Location: Silver Spring
Posted on: September 18, 2023
GEICO is seeking a Privacy Counsel to join our Office of General
Counsel.This position will focus primarily on privacy,
cybersecurity, and data-protection law, but will also engage with
other general legal matters for the company. The incumbent will
possess a deep understanding of both data-protection laws and
technology, and they will be responsible for providing advice and
guidance to the CISO and other company stakeholders.
- Work with internal clients to navigate issues related to
data-protection & privacy compliance.
- Assist the cybersecurity team with responding to privacy
incidents, cyber incidents, and data breaches; manage any related
investigations by regulators.
- Assist in the development and implementation of privacy
policies, procedures, and training programs.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to evaluate potential
privacy risks and provide practical solutions for our sales,
underwriting, marketing, and claims teams.
- Identify data-protection issues for new products, processes,
and technologies; assist the privacy, cybersecurity, and product
teams in addressing those risks.
- Monitor and provide substantive comments on relevant privacy
and data-protection legislative and regulatory changes, including
through trade association and other industry fora; analyze and
advise on potential impact to the organization.
- Support Supplier Management with privacy aspects of vendor
onboarding and management; help develop and negotiate related
privacy and data-protection agreements.
- Provide guidance for our data management and mapping.
- Provide other legal support for the Office of General Counsel
- Juris Doctor (JD) degree from an accredited law school.
- Admission to practice law in at least one U.S.
- 5+ years of experience practicing law including at least 3
years focused on privacy issues, preferably in a law firm or a
highly regulated industry such as insurance or financial
- Deep understanding and experience with U.S. federal and state
data-protection laws (e.g., CCPA/CPRA, FCRA, GLBA, TCPA).
- Strong understanding of technology and ability to communicate
with both business units and IT/cybersecurity engineers.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the
ability to explain complex legal concepts to non-lawyers.
- Ability to balance legal risk and business objectives.
- Proficiency in managing multiple priorities, projects, and
- Privacy certification such as CIPP is a plus.
Cover Letter or Writing Sample Mandatory to be considered for this
Location - Hybrid : This position is a hybrid role and will require
2-3 days working in office.
The safety of our associates is GEICO's highest priority. If you
are required to come into the office for licensing, training, or
orientation, please note that we have implemented a variety of
safety precautions within our offices. Additional safety
precautions include no-contact temperature screening stations,
added signage for associates on common-area occupancy limits,
socially distanced workstations, and increased cleaning procedures
for all areas.
As an Associate, you'll enjoy our Total Rewards Program * to help
secure your financial future and preserve your health and
- Premier Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance with no waiting
- Paid Vacation, Sick and Parental Leave
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Paid Training and Licensures
*Benefits may be different by location. Benefit eligibility
requirements vary and may include length of service.
**Coverage begins on the date of hire. Must enroll in New Hire
Benefits within 30 days of the date of hire for coverage to take
The equal employment opportunity policy of the GEICO Companies
provides for a fair and equal employment opportunity for all
associates and job applicants regardless of race, color, religious
creed, national origin, ancestry, age, gender, pregnancy, sexual
orientation, gender identity, marital status, familial status,
disability, or genetic information, in compliance with applicable
federal, state and local law. GEICO hires and promotes individuals
solely on the basis of their qualifications for the job to be
GEICO reasonably accommodates qualified individuals with
disabilities to enable them to receive equal employment opportunity
and/or perform the essential functions of the job unless the
accommodation would impose an undue hardship to the Company. This
applies to all applicants and associates. GEICO also provides a
work environment in which each associate is able to be productive
and work to the best of their ability. We do not condone or
tolerate an atmosphere of intimidation or harassment. We expect and
require the cooperation of all associates in maintaining an
atmosphere free from discrimination and harassment with mutual
respect by and for all associates and applicants.
At this time, GEICO will not sponsor a new applicant for employment
authorization for this position.
Keywords: Government Employees Insurance Company, Silver Spring , Privacy Counsel - Chevy Chase, MD (HYBRID), Legal , Silver Spring, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!