Senior Manager, Business Development (28047)
Location: Silver Spring
Posted on: May 31, 2021
This position is based in Silver Spring, Maryland (Telework
optional). This position will close after June 30, 2021. Applicants
will be contacted in the following weeks. Thank you.
The Adventist Development and Relief Agency is a global
humanitarian organization of the Seventh-day Adventist Church that
demonstrates God's love and compassion. ADRA's purpose is to serve
humanity so all may live as God intended.
ADRA International encourages all interested candidates to
apply. ADRA International is a religiously qualified Equal
Opportunity Employer under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act. ADRA
International has the right to prefer a member of the Seventh-day
Adventist (SDA) church in the hiring process. In the event that a
qualified SDA candidate is not found, we will give the opportunity
to candidates who must understand, respect and honor the mission,
purpose, and identity of ADRA International.
As a senior member of the Business Development Unit (BDU), this
position contributes to the conception and implementation of the
business development strategy, leading a variety of pursuits,
including one-year and multi-year, complex new business
opportunities to meet ADRA's annual revenue targets. The Senior
Manager will cultivate relationships with donors, clients, NGOs and
other partner institutions, and will stay informed on innovative
development methodologies, best practices, and donor trends that
affect program planning and development. The incumbent will deliver
high-quality proposal submissions by gathering opportunity
intelligence, conducting capture tasks, and managing new program
design, proposal strategy, and proposal development processes. This
includes writing proposal sections and conducting quality assurance
measures throughout the process.
This position is based in Silver Spring, Maryland (Telework
- Extensive, successful experience leading large proposal teams
on complex, single year and multi-year, multi-partner proposals for
USAID, including conducting proposal strategy sessions to develop
proposal value proposition and win themes, and negotiating roles in
partnerships, consortia and strategic alliances.
- Master's degree in International Development, International
Relations, Public Policy/Administration, Political Science,
Business Administration OR in a relevant technical area/related
discipline such as Public Health, Agriculture, or Economics,
- Seven or more years of related international development
experience (equivalent combination of formal education/training and
experience will be considered).
- Four or more years of proven business development experience
for international development programs, ideally funded by
- Effective leadership, project management, and organizational
skills, including the ability to provide leadership to co-workers,
technical staff, country offices, and donors/clients on new
- Strong analytical and assessment skills, including the ability
to research, analyze and apply donor requirements during all phases
of the proposal process.
- Understanding and ability to continually stay abreast of
development challenges and best practices, to interact with ADRA's
technical experts at ADRA International and in country offices, and
to suggest or propose interventions to address development
- Excellent written oral and written communication skills,
including ability to write, integrate, and edit technical
approaches on a wide range of development topics, outlining client
and donor challenges and articulating targeted solutions in a
clear, concise, and compelling manner.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, Outlook,
- Must exhibit sensitivity to and interest in other cultures and
- Ability to anticipate the long-term, multi-functional impact of
all decisions and take a long-range, broad approach to
problem-solving and decision-making by analyzing, thinking ahead,
- Applied experience in, and understanding of USG regulations for
grants, cooperative agreements and contracts (OMB Circulars,
Mandatory Standard Provisions, FAR, AIDAR), particularly for USAID;
understanding of other donor regulations and requirements, such as
the Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC), World Bank and major
- Proficiency in French, Spanish, Arabic and/or Portuguese.
- Leading and Supervising - Provides others with a clear
direction; sets appropriate standards of behavior.
- Entrepreneurial and Commercial Thinking - Identifies business
opportunities for the organization; demonstrates financial
- Delivering Results and Meeting Customer Expectations - Focuses
on customer needs and satisfaction; sets high standards for quality
- Relating and Networking - Establishes good relationships with
colleagues; builds wide and effective networks.
Unit Management and Self-Development
- Participates in fundraising strategy development and strategic
planning for BDU, developing action plans to realize new
- Contributes to BDU work plans to meet ADRA's annual revenue
targets, outlining target clients (donors, foundations) and
- Manages the needs of ADRA International vis--vis ADRA's country
offices through effective communication and positive dialogue.
- Supervises, coaches, and mentors other Business Development
Unit staff as assigned by the Director.
- Attends appropriate seminars, conferences, meetings and other
learning opportunities to develop relevant knowledge and skills and
to improve performance, efficiency, or capacity.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Opportunity Cultivation, Intelligence, and Marketing
- Cultivates relationships with donor/client and partner
representatives, and serves as an account manager/point of contact
for a subset of ADRA donors, particularly USAID.
- Builds wide and effective networks, capitalizing on existing
industry contacts to develop business intelligence and inform
Business Development (BD) decision-making.
- Engages in active listening with donors/clients to identify
their needs, define the issues, and provide them with clear and
articulate information relative to how ADRA can meet their
- Collects and analyzes information on USG and other donor
priorities, trends, and development approaches and best practices
that could impact ADRA's business and BD processes.
- Identifies funding opportunities by matching ADRA's capacity,
experience and expertise to opportunity requirements.
- Synthesizes and summarizes new business development
opportunities for review and consideration by Business Development
- Represents ADRA to donor decision-makers, potential partners,
private sector entities and government counterparts.
- Represents ADRA's BD interests and strategies to internal ADRA
- Markets ADRA's capabilities and approaches to potential donors
and partners, including through in-country reconnaissance trips
targeting specific funding opportunities.
- Leads proposal development efforts, serving as Proposal Manager
for short-term emergency and multi-year development
- Defines proposal team makeup, and works with unit directors to
ensure all proposal team positions are filled by ADRA staff and
consultants, as needed.
- Defines program design, proposal strategy/vision, and win
themes for proposals and coordinates with ADRA staff and consultant
technical experts to promote the design of sustainable, technically
sound program proposals.
- Identifies, vets, and negotiates agreements with partner
organizations on specific opportunities.
- Contributes to writing and editing technical proposal sections
and coordinates with ADRA staff and consultant technical experts to
lead technical design.
- Develops proposals that meet client expectations, rules and
regulations, that are based on client needs, and that consider the
strengths and weaknesses of potential competitors.
- Identifies and applies both proven tools, methods and
innovative approaches to proposal development, and effectively
directs participation of proposal team members in proposal
- Contributes to proposal budget development to ensure
consistency with program design and activities.
- Reviews proposal drafts for appropriate tone, single voice,
technical accuracy, practicality, and feasibility of approach, and
final editing prior to production and submissions.
Knowledge Management, Communication, and Sharing
- Captures information, business intelligence, and learning from
donor/client and partner interactions, documents and disseminates
information internally as needed.
- Captures and documents learning from proposal development
processes to refine and continuously improve tools and processes;
maintains proposal documents and files in online archives.
- Generates executive buy-in to business development and proposal
efforts and successfully champions new ideas.
- Leads dynamic client/internal presentations to positively
influence client decisions and staff perceptions; promotes teamwork
and cooperation to achieve shared objectives.
- Contributes and develops content for marketing materials,
capacity and past performance information relevant to ADRA's BD
- Participates as a BD expert and trainer in the development
and/or delivery of trainings and ADRA-sponsored workshops that
contribute to the needs of the organization and the BDU.
- Provides BD assistance to country offices as needed through
field visits, workshops, seminars, and capacity building
activities, so that country office staff can meet proposal,
performance, quality assurance, and customer service standards for
various sectors and donors.
- Attends and/or presents at conferences, workshops, coordination
meetings and donor interaction opportunities relevant to ADRA's
business and target clients.
Up to 35% domestic and international travel required. Must have
the ability to travel on short notice if necessary.
Must be able to work in a fast-paced and customer
service-oriented environment; to perform duties under pressure and
meet deadlines in a timely manner; to work as part of a team as
well as to complete assignments independently; to take instructions
from supervisors; to exercise problem-solving skills; and to
interact with co-workers, supervisors, network employees, donors
and the public in a professional and pleasant manner.
Person must be able to perform essential job functions with or
without accommodation. Incumbent should be in optimal health for
difficult and temporary below-basic living conditions at overseas
locations and for field travel in general.
Keywords: ADRA, Silver Spring , Senior Manager, Business Development (28047), Other , Silver Spring, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!