This position will be based in Charlotte NC. Relocation
support may be available to selected hires.*
No two career paths will ever look the same.
At Leidos, we know the most talented
and diverse engineering professionals will always have a multitude
of career choices; your time at Leidos will be a wise investment in
your career and in yourself.
Protect yourself and your family, with the benefits of working for a world-class
you join Leidos, you join a Fortune 500 company and one of
Ethisphere Institute’s “World's Most Ethical Companies”.
Successful candidates can look forward to a fast paced,
diverse work environment & flexible work hours/work arrangements as
well as managers who will encourage career development and growth
- Engineer in Training Certificate (EIT)
- Professional Engineer License (PE)
- Project Management Professional (PMP)
- Leadership training
- Management opportunities
In this role, you can also expect to gain
- NESC expertise
- Structural Pole Modeling
- Electrical Power Calculations
- GIS design training
- Project management
Currently, we have an opportunity for a Lead Distribution
Engineer for electric utility design engineering located in our
Charlotte NC office. Selected candidate must work out of the
Charlotte NC office.
The successful candidate will have an interest in developing
construction work packages for the electric distribution system
using various software systems and construction standards.
Distribution systems may be in an OH, UG, or URD environment.
Work packages will be developed using Geographic Information
Systems (GIS), Computer Aided Design (CAD) tools, Work Management
Systems (WMS), and other client systems.
Project work will require performing engineering calculations
that may include: structural analysis of poles, guying, cable
pulling, electric demand, transformer sizing, voltage drop and
flicker, and coordination of protective devices. Assignments
may also include: preparing forestry trimming requests,
facilitating permit and Right-of-Way acquisition, development of a
BOM, estimating costs, and customer advocacy such as acquiring
easements. Work assignments will include travelling by motor
vehicle to various project locations located throughout the area to
conduct field investigations.
• Bachelors of Science in Engineering degree
(Electrical, Mechanical, Civil, or Industrial) is required and 4-8
years of prior relevant experience or Master’s degree with 2+
years: relevant experience is either working directly with an
electric utility or an electric utility consulting company,
performing design engineering and leading teams.
- Lead and develop a team of engineers
- Manage scope, schedule and budget of work assigned
- Experience with the National Electric Safety Code (NESC) and
client construction standards
- Experience with BOUD or GE Smallworld
- Experience using CAD tools
- Experience with software such as: PoleForeman, SAP,
- Must be comfortable in both a field and office setting
- Must be able to lift 20 pounds
- Must be able to walk up to 2 miles on unpaved surfaces
- Candidate must provide their own reliable transportation
- (Local customer/job related travel is anticipated and will be
reimbursed at IRS approved rates)
Nice to haves
- Experience with distribution design: reconductoring projects,
voltage conversion projects, distribution automation projects, new
- Fundamentals of Engineer certification
- Professional Engineer preferred
- Strong communication skills, written and interpersonal
- Collaborative and inclusive of individuals of diverse
backgrounds and geographic locations
- Positive attitude
- Ability to work with limited supervision
- Ability to work effectively in teams.
- Professional dress and demeanor
10%-30% Field Inspections
60%-80% Engineering and development of design packages for
10% Performing administrative tasks, planning, and/or customer
Leidos is growing! Connect with us on LinkedIn and Facebook.
We value and support the well-being and mobility of our
employees with competitive benefit packages, complementary
e-learning training, work-life flexibility, an exciting External
Referral Program, and a diverse, inclusive and ethical work
place. In fact, in 2020, Leidos was ranked as one of the “World's Most Ethical Companies” by the Ethisphere
Institute for the third consecutive year.
External Referral Bonus:
Potential for Telework:
Clearance Level Required:
Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Distribution Design Engineering