Software Developer - NOAA NWS
Company: Total Solutions, Inc
Location: Silver Spring
Posted on: June 9, 2021
Total Solutions, Inc. (TSI) is recruiting for a Software
Developer to support the National Weather Service's (NWS) Office of
Observations (OBS). Selected applicants can expect to perform the
enhancement and maintenance to the Station Information System
This work involves continued database development, software
development, and web-interface design and development for
administration and users' use of the Station Information System
(SIS). Applicants should be technically proficient to work with the
Government to refine and implement requirements to design, test,
and deploy the database, software, and web interface, and system
enhancements, including corrections of errors and "bugs" discovered
during the Period of Performance.
Specific Tasks include:
Task 1 SIS Software Development and Enhancement
- Develop new software code and/or packages based on defined
- New software code and/or packages will be tested either locally
or nationally, at Government's decision, before operations.
- Maintain, monitor, and continuously upgrade/improve the new
software during further design, development, testing, and
operations to ensure continual, responsive usability of the
- Manage and maintain the hardware and software infrastructure
supporting all SIS products and their development.
- Manage and maintain a repository of SIS software versions.
- Utilize the agile software development methods to meet
potentially changing needs of the Government.
- Utilize open source software, if available, for any portions of
the projects that are not specifically written by the contractor
- Develop a mobile application to be used for gathering updates
to SIS information for later update into the host SIS
Task 2 SIS Web Interface Development
- Continue to develop and enhance the SIS' web-based user
interface based on defined requirements.
- Integrate GIS functionality into the SIS interface using open
source GIS resources.
- New user interface code and/or packages will be tested either
locally or nationally, at Govenment's decision, before
- Maintain, monitor, and continuously upgrade/improve a web-based
user interface for the new software during the development,
testing, and operations to ensure continual, responsive usability
of the delivered software by system administration and system
- Make use of any appropriate development tools and methods and
graphical user interface packages to provide a graphical user
interface during testing and operational deployment of the
- Review and upgrade the web interface system(s) to ensure a
modern, optimally user-friendly, robust environment that is
scalable for use on multiple devices including, but not limited to,
desktop PC, laptop PC and mobile devices.
Task 3 Technical and Operations Documentation
- System and Software Documentation - Produce, deliver, and
maintain written descriptions of all functional aspects of the SIS
suite of services and software, including component descriptions,
logic charts, workflow, database schema, and dependencies.
- Maintenance Documentation - Produce, deliver, and maintain
documentation relating to the support and administration of the SIS
system. This includes build-and-deploy guides and other
documentation as required. The output of this task will be a
"technical encyclopedia" of the entire Performance Management
operational and development environment.
Task 4 System Level Administration
- Maintain all operating system patches required by the
- Maintain all periphery software patches required by the
- Work with the Government ITSSO to maintain all IT security
requirements of the Government.
Must have expertise and knowledge in the following areas, as
appropriate to the task:
- Software development practices using SQL and XML.
Knowledge/Experience with PostgrSQL software is desirable.
- Software development using Open Source GIS software.
- Linux and Windows server operating systems.
- SQL Server operations and maintenance, including software
patching and IT Security alerts and mitigation.
- This SIS is a system in operational deployment. Training
opportunities on the SIS will be limited, as such the applicant
should have experience and knowledge of climate observational
and/or climate metadata software and requirements. Previous
experience with NOAA Climate observations and/or metadata is not
required, but desirable.
- Knowledge with JBOSS is preferred.
Keywords: Total Solutions, Inc, Silver Spring , Software Developer - NOAA NWS, Other , Silver Spring, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!