Director of The Office of Worship
Company: Archdiocese of Washington
Posted on: June 12, 2021
The mission of the Catholic Archdiocese of Washington is to
spread the light of the Gospel of Jesus Chris to the world. In the
faithful pursuit of this mission, the archdiocese is seeking a
Director of the Office of Worship.
The Director of the Office of Worship will assist the Archbishop
of Washington in his role as chief liturgist of the archdiocese.
The Director of the Office of Worship will also be responsible for
coordinating Archdiocesan liturgies at which the Archbishop
presides, offer appropriate training, workshops, and catechesis for
liturgical formation, and develop and have thorough knowledge of
the Archdiocesan Liturgical Norms and Policies.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Assists the Archbishop of Washington in his role as chief
liturgist of the archdiocese.
- Coordinates and assists in the planning and preparation of
archdiocesan masses and liturgies at which the Archbishop presides,
participates, or attends, including the Chrism Mass, clergy
funerals, the Mass for Life, the Red Mass, Rite of Election,
confirmations, ordinations, dedication of churches and altars,
blessings, and other archdiocesan ceremonies and events.
- Assists and serves as Master of Ceremonies for liturgies
celebrated by the Archbishop of Washington at the Cathedral of
Saint Matthew the Apostle, parishes in the archdiocese, and the
Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception,
particularly during Christmas and Holy Week.
- Plans, coordinates, implements, and assists major liturgies at
the Cathedral of Saint Matthew and the Basilica of the National
Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in collaboration and
consultation with the Rector of the Cathedral and the Director of
Liturgy and Music at the Basilica.
- Effectively communicates the Archdiocesan Liturgical Norms and
Policies, guidelines and directives to the Pastors, clergy, and the
faithful. When necessary, provides appropriate catechesis in the
areas of divine worship and sacramental life.
- Oversees the Office of Worship budget.
- Oversees the Office of Worship webpage on ADW website.
- Recommends to the archbishop through the Moderator of the Curia
policy, practice and catechesis in the areas of worship and
sacramental life in cooperation with archdiocesan departments and
in consultation with Canonical Services and the Moderator of the
- Provides and coordinates periodic liturgical training during
the year for lectors and extraordinary ministers of holy communion
and other education resources for Pastors, clergy, and other parish
- Serves on the Archdiocesan Sacred Arts and Building Advisory
- Maintains the Saint Ursula Chapel at the Pastoral Center for
daily liturgies and events.
- Responsible for the preparation for daily Mass as well as the
proper cleaning of vessels and linens.
- Provides support for the planning of the recorded Sunday Mass
for Shut-Ins, particularly when the Archbishop of Washington
presides at the Christmas or Easter Mass. Coordinates with the
director and producer of the Mass for Shut-Ins.
- Assists and supports the Director of Liturgy and Music at the
Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception when
the Archbishop of Washington presides at Live Broadcasts from the
Basilica (Easter Sunday, Christmas Day, the CUA Mass of the Holy
- Responsible for the upkeep of all Archdiocesan vestments (these
include vestments from the 2005 Papal visit: dalmatics, chasubles
for concelebrating priests and bishop vestments) located at the
Pastoral Center and the Cathedral of Saint Matthew the Apostle
- Supervise the Office of Worship staff.
- Prepares and publishes the annual Archdiocesan Ordo to be
distributed to Bishops, Pastors, parishes, and seminaries;
coordinates with the Secretariat of Ministerial Leadership the
updated necrology for the Ordo.
- Consults with Pastors in ensuring liturgies presided by the
Archbishop at the Parish follow the guidelines presented in the
Liturgical Norms and Policies.
- Additionally, may have other responsibilities as requested by
the Office of the Moderator of the Curia.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Outstanding interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work and relate to a variety of personalities and
- Strong leadership ability and proven ability to manage
- Ability to handle multiple assignments consecutively and
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in a Theology, Catechesis or comparable level
- Master's degree a plus.
- Excellent written communication skills.
- Minimum three years of experience coordinating, planning, and
implementing liturgical events at the parish level.
- Thorough knowledge and familiarity with the Archdiocesan
Liturgical Norms and Policies.
- This job operates in a professional office environment. This
role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers,
phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those
that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
Keywords: Archdiocese of Washington, Silver Spring , Director of The Office of Worship, Other , Hyattsville, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!