Officer, Economic Growth and Market Systems
Company: Global Communities
Location: Silver Spring
Posted on: April 13, 2019
The Officer role within the Economic Growth and Market Systems
pillar is responsible for program financial management, general
compliance, and programmatic performance and progress against
program goals and deliverables. The Officer also contributes to the
pillar s growth and business development efforts by writing
proposal sections, recruiting, performing research, coordinating
with partner organizations, providing administrative support,
ensuring responsive submission of proposals, mentoring and training
new staff, and assisting with other duties as assigned. In
addition, s/he develops and improves Headquarters (HQ) based
systems to monitor implementation of programs and business
development efforts. S/he will also monitor program performance and
support knowledge management in assigned programs.
1. Ensures program deliverables are met through coordination with
the Program Management Team.
* Monitors program performance in assigned area, including partner
* Investigates problems, designs solutions, and provides
operational assistance. Coordinates with appropriate HQ and field
personnel to resolve issues and develop solutions.
* Reviews program deliverables to ensure quality, compliance, and
* Provides program updates and analysis to HQ and field
* Coordinates (or leads when delegated) program start-up and
2. Ensures effective program financial management and adherence to
financial and contractual policies and procedures in designated
* Communicates and coordinates with relevant departments to provide
accurate analysis to the field and to monitor and report on
* Manages HQ portion of draw request and projections. Reviews field
portion of draw request and projections.
* Reviews program budgets against work plans, donor agreements and
past spending. Works with field offices to make necessary
* Conducts analysis of expenditures and annual/LOP spending
projections. Provides recommendations to program teams on
mitigating actions. Analyzes monthly burn rates of all programs
against projections and work plans.
* Gathers and processes matching contributions information on all
programs. Works with field and finance to reconcile any differences
in reported match. Tracks contributions against life of project
* Monitors program obligations and reports their status. Alerts
when increased obligations are required.
* Reviews payment of invoices from consultants, partners, and
* In coordination with the field and Manager, monitors
international partner sub awards including agreements, budgets, and
3. Serves on proposal teams, as assigned. Roles may include one of
the following but are not limited to:
* Conducting pre-capture and post-solicitation field
* Conducting research on country background information, sectoral
best practices, competitor strengths and weaknesses and other
information needed for proposal designs.
* Identifying and maintaining relations with potential local and
international partner organizations.
* Serving as a liaison between Global Communities department, field
teams, HQ-based proposal teams, and partner organizations to
facilitate information gathering and proposal design.
* Writing assigned proposal sections, including, but not limited
to, background statements, technical components, cross-cutting
issues, management and staffing, or organizational capacity.
* Overseeing proposal support for high priority, complex,
4. Monitors program performance and supports knowledge management
in assigned programs.
* Works directly with field and knowledge management staff in
development and tracking of work plans, PMPs, and other M&E
deliverables as well as supporting baseline assessments, performing
statistical analysis, and tracking data against baseline.
* Analyzes, and regularly reports on program indicators, progress
against targets, program successes and lessons learned.
* Reconciles project financial management with calendar of project
deliverables through coordination with field finance and monitoring
and evaluation teams.
* Investigate problems and design solutions to ensure improved
program implementation and management. Participates in the
development and review of project management tools and manuals and
improvement of systems and processes.
5. Assume responsibilities as needed in the absence of Program
Manager and Associate.
6. Travels to the field to provide program STTA and/or support
7. Represents Global Communities at meetings, conferences, and
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
* Knowledge and experience in one of the following sectors:
Economic Growth and Market Systems, Access to Finance, MSME
Development, Work Force Development.
* Familiarity with donor rules and regulations.
* Ability to manage, track and report on budgets and program
* Proficient in the use of Microsoft Suite. Comfortable working
with large amounts of data and Excel spreadsheets
* Basic math skills. Able to perform job specific mathematics.
* Familiarity with Monitoring and Evaluation and/or knowledge
* Excellent oral and written communications skills. Familiarity
with writing work plans, donor reports, and other program
* Excellent organizational skills. Ability to work independently in
a fast-paced environment and meet conflicting deadlines with a
minimum of supervision.
* Excellent critical thinking skills and sound judgment. Proven
willingness to make timely and sound decisions based on accurate
* Fluency in English required, written and oral. Abilities in a
second language (Spanish, French, Arabic preferred).
* Advanced computer skills in a Windows based environment including
the Microsoft Suite.
* Able to work in a team environment.
* Able and willing to travel internationally approximately 20-25%
* Accuracy, attention to detail.
* Ability to read and interpret documents and ability to sit at a
computer and operate a keyboard.
* Bachelor s degree in relevant discipline and a minimum of 2 years
of relevant programmatic experience working with an international
NGO/non-profit, Government or for profit development organization,
or a Master s degree in relevant discipline and up to 2 years of
Global Communities employs committed and qualified individuals at
its headquarters in downtown Silver Spring, Maryland just outside
of Washington, DC.
In conforming with applicable laws, Global Communities is an Equal
Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of
race, color, national origin, genetic information, religious
beliefs, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital
status, pregnancy, disability, protected veteran status, or any
other protected classifications, activities, or conditions as
required by federal, state and local laws.
As an applicant, please visit:
to learn about your protection under Federal law. You may also
to view Global Communities EEO Policy Statement.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Global Communities is committed
to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals
with disabilities in all facets of employment, including the
employment application and selection process. If you have a
disability that affects your ability to use our online system to
apply for a position, please send us an email on our Contact Us
page " https://www.globalcommunities.org/contactus" or call
301.587.4700 to request accommodation.
Keywords: Global Communities, Silver Spring , Officer, Economic Growth and Market Systems, Other , Silver Spring, Maryland
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!